Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
September 17, 2009
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Oath of Office for Student Trustee (informal before business meeting) - Board of Trustees Room
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
Executive Session – Altgeld Hall
Reconvene Board of Trustees Meeting – Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF JUNE 25, 2008 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 65
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2011 Appropriated Capital Budget Request; Fiscal Year 2011 Nonappropriated Capital Budget; University Outreach Multi Year Professional Services Contract; Fiscal Year 2010 ITS – Telecommunications Hardware Maintenance Agreement; Finance and Facilities Software and Database Maintenance Agreements; Permanent Easements for Utilities – Far West Campus; Cole Hall – Renovation and Equipment Capital Project Approval; Collective Bargaining Agreement – Electrical Workers, Local 364; Federal Trade Commission Red Flags Rules; Fiscal Year 2010 Internal Budget; Collective Bargaining Agreement - Carpenters and Joiners, Local 790; and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer Upgrade. For information: Fiscal Year 2009 Report on Capital Activities; Fiscal Year 2009 Annual Report of Transactions Involving Real Property; Fiscal Year 2009 Annual Report of Cash and Investments; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Annual Summary Report Obligation of Financial Resources Year Ended June 30, 2009; Follow Up on the Ph.D. in Economics; Fiscal Year 2009 Program Review Findings; 2008 2009 Faculty Emeritus Recognition; Professional Excellence Awards for Faculty and Staff; Fiscal Year 2009 External Funding for Research, Public Service and Instructional Projects; Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Update; 96th General Assembly Report; Congressional Report; Fire Safety Mandates as Required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008; Internet2 Technologies and the NIU School of Music; NIU Activity Related to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009; Benefit Provisions for Marital Status/Domestic Partnerships; Grant and Contract Awards; and Fiscal Year 2009 Report of Tuition and Fee Waivers. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- NEXT MEETING DATE
- OTHER MATTERS
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board