Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
June 25, 2009
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
Executive Session – Altgeld Hall
Reconvene Board of Trustees Meeting – Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF MARCH 26, 2009 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- ELECTION OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES OFFICERS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2010
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 64
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2010 Gasoline 10 Percent Ethanol Blend; Fiscal Year 2010 NIU Foundation Professional Services Contract; Fiscal Year 2010 NIU Naperville Catering Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Waste Management and Utilities Solid Waste Removal and Recycling at NIU DeKalb; Health Services Multi-Year Medical Reagent Contract; Information Technology Services Multi Year Blackboard Inc. Software Licenses; Investment and Cash Management Policy Revision; Kishwaukee Hall and Radio Tower Removal; Naming of Campus Facilities; East Heating Plant – Main Steam Tunnel Reconstruction – Capital Project Approval; Recommendations for Faculty Promotions, Tenure, and Promotions with Tenure for 2009-2010 Academic Year; Appointment of the Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts; Request for New Research and Public Service Centers; Request for a New Degree Program; Request for a New Specialization; Request to Delete an Administrative, Research, Service or Other Unit; CEET Department of Technology Subcontracting Amendment; Fiscal Year 2011 Budget Guidelines; Fiscal Year 2010 Internal Operating Budget Interim Approval; Fiscal Year 2010 Tuition Recommendations; Center for Governmental Studies Medicaid Fraud Project Amendment; and Contract for Services in Fiscal Years 2009 and 2010, Northern Illinois Research Foundation, A University Related Organization (URO). For information: Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Follow-Up on the Outcomes of Sabbatical Leaves; 96th General Assembly Report; Federal Report Fiscal Year 2010 Administration Budget Summary; NIU Initiatives Related to ARRA Health and Information Technology; Fiscal Year 2008 Fiscal and Compliance Audit; Memorial Peace Garden Presentation; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 45
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Executive Session Minutes Release; Resolution Honoring Board of Trustees Chair Cherilyn Murer; and Resolution Honoring Student Trustee DuJuan Smith. Expected to include presentation of proposals for information: Proton Therapy Project Update and Fiscal Year 2010 Board of Trustees Officer Election Results. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- NEXT MEETING DATE
- OTHER MATTERS
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board