Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee Meeting
Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee Meeting
Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
March 5, 2009
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for Committee review and endorsement: Recommendations for Faculty and Supportive Professional Staff Sabbatical Leaves for the 2009-2010 Academic Year; New Appointment; Request for a New Degree Program; Requests for a New Emphasis and specializations; Requests for New Minors; Request to Delete a Minor; and Oral English Proficiency Annual Report 2007‑2008. For review and information: Faculty Reports on Sabbatical Leaves; Illinois Board of Higher Education Public Agenda Update; Carnegie Foundation Classification on Engagement; Update on External Review for Doctoral Departments; and Update on Degree‑Completion Initiative for Community College Students. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
(Expected to include presentation of proposal for Committee review and endorsement: Fiscal Year 2010 Student Fee Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2010 Room and Board Rate Recommendations; Energy Infrastructure Improvements--Phase IX Performance Contract; Fiscal Year 2010 Athletic Sports Camp Housing and Meal Expenditures; Fiscal Year 2010 International Programs Division; Huskie Stadium Turf Replacement; Fiscal Year 2009 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Amendment; Fiscal Year 2010 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Document Services Copier and Controller System Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Copy Paper Contract Renewal – ITS Document Services and Materials Management; Fiscal Year 2010 Northern Star Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Materials Management Central Stores Commodities Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Mass Transit Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Public Safety Security Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2010 Radiation Oncology Physician Services Contract Renewal; Collective Bargaining Agreement; Temporary Construction Easement; Grant Towers Renovation – Phase I – Living and Learning Project Initiatives; and MLK Commons Redesign and Restoration. For review and information: NIU Supplemental Retirement Plan; Fiscal Year 2009-2010 Budget Update; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; and Periodic Report on Investments. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
(Expected to include presentation of proposal for Committee review and endorsement: Federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Board Regulations Update. For review and information: 96th General Assembly Report; Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Update; H.R. 1 - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) February 17, 2009; 2008 Veteran Education Benefits - Higher Education Opportunity Act- Provisions for Veterans Education; and NIUNet Update. Possibly other matters for discussion only.)
AGENDA FORMAT FOR COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
- COMMITTEE CHAIR'S COMMENTS/ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS, IF ANY*
- UNIVERSITY RECOMMENDATIONS AND REPORTS
- OTHER MATTERS
- NEXT MEETING DATE
*The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Public Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: Original, at least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President's Office, Altgeld Hall 300, and Holmes Student Center