Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
March 27, 2008
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice and meeting agenda approval, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in Room 225 Altgeld Hall.)
Approx. 9:15 a.m.
Executive Session – 225 Altgeld Hall
Approx. 10:15 a.m.
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened – Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF DECEMBER 6, 2007 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 58
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2009 Student Fee Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2009 Room and Board Rate Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2009 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2009 Athletic Sports Camp Housing and Meal Expenditure; Fiscal Year 2009 International Programs Division; Fiscal Year 2009 Document Services Copier and Controller System Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2009 Northern Star Contract Renewal; Telecommunications Services Parts and Supplies Amendment; Telecommunications Services Right to Use Agreement Amendment; Department of Biological Sciences Research Project Amendment; Student Residence Hall – Install Fire Sprinkler Systems Capital Project Budget Revision; Reconstruction of Parking Lot 24 Capital Project Approval; The Northern Illinois Proton Treatment and Research Center Development Agreement; Collective Bargaining Agreement; Master of Accounting Science (M.A.S.) Program Fees; Recommendations for Faculty and Supportive Professional Staff Sabbatical Leaves for the 2008‑2009 Academic Year; Request for a New Minor; Request for a New Emphasis and Specialization; Public Safety Security Services; Dean of University Libraries; Request for New Degree Programs; and Center for Governmental Studies Medicaid Transformation Project. Possibly other matters for discussion only.) For information: Fiscal Year 2008 Increment Summary Report; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; Fiscal Year 2009 Programmatic Budget Requests; Oral English Proficiency Annual Report 2006-2007; Annual IBHE Report on Underrepresented Groups 2006‑2007; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- OTHER MATTERS
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office-Altgeld Hall 300 and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board