Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
June 19, 2008
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Oath of Office for Student Trustee (informal before business meeting) - Board of Trustees Room
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice and meeting agenda approval, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in Room 225 Altgeld Hall.)
Approx. 9:45 a.m.
Executive Session – 225 Altgeld Hall
Approx. 10:45 a.m.
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened – Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF MARCH 27, 2008 REGULAR MEETING
- ILLINOIS CAMPUS SECURITY TASK FORCE PRESENTATION
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- ELECTION OF FISCAL YEAR 2009 OFFICERS FOR THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
- Executive Committee
- Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
- Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
- Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
- Illinois Board of Higher Education
- University Civil Service Merit Board
- Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 59
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Guidelines; Fiscal Year 2009 Internal Operating Budget Interim Approval; Fiscal Year 2009 Tuition Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2009 NIU Foundation Professional Services Contract; Fiscal Year 2009 Radiation Oncology Physician Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2009 Copy Paper – ITS Document Services and Materials Management; Fiscal Year 2009 Waste Management and Utilities Solid Waste Removal and Recycling at NIU DeKalb; Fiscal Year 2009 NIU Naperville Catering Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2009 Gasoline 10 Percent Ethanol Blend; Fiscal Year 2009 Telecommunications Services Parts and Supplies Contract Renewal; College of Engineering and Engineering Technology ROCK Program – Research and Project Development Amendment; Department of Physics Double X-Ray Mirror System; University Health Services Multiyear Medical Reagent Amendment; University Data Warehouse Implementation; Academic Advising Center and Office of Retention Services Relocation and Consolidation; Recommendations for Faculty Promotions, Tenure, and Promotions with Tenure for 2008-2009 Academic Year; New Appointments; Request for a New Degree Program; and Request for a New Emphasis. For information: Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; Semiannual Progress Report of Active Capital Projects with a Budget over $100,000; 2007-2008 Program Review Summaries; Illinois Board of Higher Education Public Agenda Update; 95th General Assembly Report; Congressional Report; NIU Foundation Endowment Policy; Fiscal Year 2007 Financial and Compliance Audit Report; Policy for Fraud Detection and Prevention; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for consideration only.
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 42
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Tenured Faculty Appeal Matter; Resolution – Student Trustee Shaun N. Crisler; and Executive Session Minutes Release. Expected to include presentation of proposals for information: First Reading – Board of Trustees Bylaws Amendment. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- OTHER MATTERS
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office, Altgeld Hall 300, and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board