Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
December 4, 2008
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice and meeting agenda approval, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in Room 225 Altgeld Hall.)
Approx. 9:15 a.m.
Executive Session – 225 Altgeld Hall
Approx. 10:30 a.m.
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened – Board of Trustees Room
Expected Agenda for Regular Meeting
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 18, 2008 REGULAR MEETING
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 62
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Policy for Fraud Detection and Prevention; Fiscal Year 2009 Materials Management - Central Stores Commodities Amendments; College of Engineering and Engineering Technology ROCK Program - Research and Project Development; Motorcycle Safety Project -Training Motorcycles; Collective Bargaining Agreements; and Appointment with Tenure. For information: 95th General Assembly Report; Fiscal Year 2009 Budget Update; Congressional Report; ACE Analysis of Higher Education Act Reauthorization; Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 Textbook Cost Containment Requirements; Federal Lobbying Disclosure Act; Fiscal Year 2009 Increment Summary Report; Semiannual Progress Report of Active Capital Projects with a Budget Over $100,000; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; and Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 44
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Second Reading – Amended - Amendment to Bylaws of the Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University; Executive Session Minutes Release; and Proposed Board of Trustees Meeting Dates for 2009. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- OTHER MATTERS
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available. . . .
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Original Posting: At least 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office, Altgeld Hall 300, and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board