Anyone needing special accommodations to participate in the NIU Board of Trustees meetings should contact Ellen Andersen, Director of Special Events (815) 753-1999, as soon as possible, normally a week before the scheduled meeting.
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
OF NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
March 18, 2004
Clara Sperling Sky Room
Holmes Student Center, Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Clara Sperling Sky Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice, announcements, meeting agenda approval, minutes review and approval, Chair’s comments, an informational presentation on P-20, timely requested public comments and reports of Board Committees and Liaisons, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in the University Suite.)
Executive Session – University Suite
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened - Clara Sperling Sky Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF DECEMBER 4, 2003
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS, ANNOUNCEMENTS AND INFORMATIONAL PRESENTATION
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 39
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2005 Student Fee Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2005 Athletic Sports Camp Housing and Meal Expenditure; Fiscal Year 2005 Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Contract; Fiscal Year 2005 Document Services Copier and Controller System Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2005 Waste Management Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2005 Northern Star Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2005 International Programs Division Contracts Renewal; Fiscal Year 2005 Mass Transit Contract Renewal; Information Technology Services Computer Desktop Workstations; Douglas Hall - Student Rooms Carpet Installation - Capital Project Approval; Department of Psychology Research Grant; Recommendations for Faculty and Supportive Professional Staff Sabbatical Leaves for the 2004-2005 Academic Year; Request for Degree Authority at Regional Site; Request for New Emphases; Request to Delete an Emphasis; Business and Industry Services Consulting Services. For information: Fiscal Year 2004-05 Budget Update; Undergraduate Tuition Policy Implementation; PeopleSoft Status Report; Fiscal Year 2004 Increment Summary Report; Higher Learning Commission Accreditation Update; Annual Report on Oral English Proficiency 2002-2003; Annual IBHE Report on Underrepresented Groups 2002-2003; Substantive Legislation; Fiscal Year 2005 Budget Status; Fiscal Year 2004 Federal Legislative Report; Fiscal Year 2003 Compliance Audit Report; Summary of Grant and Contract Awards. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S REPORT NO. 28
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Honorary Resolution; PeopleSoft Resolution. For information/discussion: First Reading - Amendment to Bylaws of the Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University re Quorums for Committee Meetings; First Reading - Amendment to Bylaws of the Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University re Appointments to Vacant Officer Positions. Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- OTHER MATTERS
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.
Notice Prepared by: Board of Trustees Parliamentarian
Time of Posting: 48 hours in advance of announced Meeting
Places of Posted Meeting Notice: President’s Office, Lowden Hall 301, and Holmes Student Center Bulletin Board