Where are they going from here - successes from 2015/2016 year
- Emily Virgin - will begin pursuing a Ph.D. at Utah State this summer
- Adam Hage has been accepted to The University of Texas Medical Branch "UTMB" in Galveston, TX, where he will be pursuing a Ph.D. in the Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology this fall.
- Nicholas Kirchner got a job at Argonne National Lab as a Molecular Biologist in a microbial ecology lab.
- Ideal Ajet - Pharmacy School Midwestern University
- Therese Millet -Veterinary School University of Illinois
- Kolver Matos - Dental School Marquette University
- Alicia Jones - Pharmacy School Midwestern University
- Manas Chug - Dental School University of Michigan
- Cassandra Wood - Optometry School Illinois College of Optometry
- Haley Blackburn - Pharmacy School University of Illinois Chicago
- Steve Szlembarski - Medical School Midwestern University
- Casey LaBarbera - Dental School Marquette University
- Will Widick - Veterinary School University of Illinois
- Hannah Savage - PhD Program University of Texas
- Matt Schnizlein - PhD Program University of Michigan
- Rajpal Kullar - Pharmacy School University of Illinois Chicago
Where are they now?
From the Nicholas Barber Lab
- Sarah Nelson (grad 2013), who worked in both my lab and in Carl Von Ende’s, is currently Executive Director of the Barry Conservation District in Barry County, Michigan.
- Recent thesis: Phyllis Pischl, 2015 MS thesis: “Interactions between arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and plants under climate change.” Committee: Barber, Jones, Duvall.
- Will Widick will be attending University of Illinois Veterinary School.
- Catie Ausland successfully defended her MS and has been accepted to the University of Kansas’s ecology & evolution PhD program
- Armando Marquez received an internship with Kane County Forest Preserves
- Kaleb Baker is continuing on the summer crew at Nachusa Grasslands
From the Neil Blackstone Lab
- Therese Millet was accepted at University of Illinois Veterinary School.
From the Barrie Bode Lab
- Erik Curry (UG) – Medical Student: Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- Jordon Mitzelfelt (UG) – Medical Student: Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- Evan Wittke – (UG) - Medical Student: Loyola University (Chicago) Stritch School of Medicine
- Ashley Mottar – (UG) - Forensic Scientist, Michigan State Police, Detroit area
- Bradley Czerniak (MS) – Associate Professor, Biology; Joliet Junior College, Joliet, IL
- Jessica Tarragano (UG) – PA Student, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- Zack Howard (UG) – Zack has been admitted to two biomedical PhD programs: Ohio State University and the University of West Virginia
- John Hinckley (UG) – John has been admitted to several biomedical PhD programs: Michigan State University, University of Wisconsin, Iowa State University, University of Illinois and Ohio State University
From the Gabriel Holbrook Lab
- Adam Hage (M.S. 2016) has been accepted to The University of Texas Medical Branch "UTMB" in Galveston, TX, where he will be pursuing a Ph.D. in the Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology this fall.
- Nicholas Kirchner (M.S., 2015 Holbrook lab) got a job at Argonne National Lab as a Molecular Biologist in a microbial ecology lab.
From the Bethia King Lab
- Tyler Wittman (M.S., B. King lab) will begin a Ph.D. at the University of Virginia this fall 2016 in the lab of Robert Cox. He will be investigating life history tradeoffs and sexual conflict in the brown anole.
From the Virginia Naples Lab
- Lindsey Koper was accepted into the Ph. D. program at the Department of Anatomy, Howard University.
- Mike Taylor was accepted at University of Illinois Veterinary School.
From the Karen Samonds Lab
- PhD student Katie Heffernan received a Visiting Scholarship grant from the American Association of Anatomists for $1,000 to visit Tsinjoarivo, Madagascar. This work will be part of the data collection for her dissertation research. See photo of Katie in field.
- Masters student Thurston Kallas was just accepted into Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Start Date: Fall 2016 (July)
- Masters student Kara Coffman was just offered a teaching position starting next fall after she graduates from NIU at Illinois Valley Community College (IVCC) in Oglesby, Illinois. She will be teaching Anatomy & Physiology.
From the Wes Swingley Lab
- Marie Kroeger - graduate student, University of Massachusetts - Amherst
- Lori Lovell - graduate student, Indiana University
- Kathryn Olson - Multiple Resource Management Intern, Bureau of Land Management, Arizona
- Victoria Frank - Associate Environmental Health Practitioner, LaSalle County Health Dept.
- Nicholas McKeown - Certified Nurse's Assistant, Order of St. Francis of Assisi - St. Anthony Hospital
- Brenna Ritchie - Microbiology Laboratory Technician, Sage Products, Inc.
From the Linda Yasui Lab
- Hannah Savage, a graduating undergraduate student in my lab, was accepted into the PhD program at UT/MD Anderson in Biomedical Sciences. She has accepted their offer and will be starting their program in the Fall.
- Kolver Matos (UG) was just accepted to 6 out of the 7 dental schools he applied to. He will be attending Marquette’s dental school this Fall.
- Alicia Jones (UG) has been accepted into pharmacy school at UIC.
- Miranda Foster (MS in Yasui lab) is in her 3rd year of dental school at NYU.
- Kati Owens (MS in Yasui lab) is finishing her 4th year at medical school at UIC.
- Andrew Schuck (UG in Yasui lab) is in his 3rd year of pharmacy school at UW-Madison.
- Kelsie Allen-Durdan (UG in Yasui lab) is finishing her first year at veterinary school at UIUC.
- Ana Recendiz (UG in Yasui lab) is in her 2nd year of podiatry school in Des Moines University.
- James Caldwell (UG in Yasui lab) has completed his PhD in structural biology at San Diego State University.
- Michael Brechon (MS in Yasui lab) is in his 3rd year of dental school at Creighton University
- Pat Jones (UG) graduated from the University of Iowa College of Dentistry in 2009 and he did a general practice residency in The Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, MO, focusing on implants, oral surgery and pediatric dental care. He currently is practicing dentistry in Iowa.
- Kati Owens, a former M.S. student, is graduating from U.I.C. Medical School and will do her residency in anesthesiology at Loyola.