Undergraduate Adviser - Kenneth Gasser
- Faculty advisor for Phi Sigma Biological Honor Society
- Faculty advisor for the Pre-Professional Association
Biological Science majors and pre-professional students should call (815) 753-0433 to schedule times for an appointment.
When should you meet with your major advisor:
Meet with your advisor immediately after you decide on your major field of study. Your advisor will help you plan the sequences of classes that will be required to complete your degree within an 8 semester time frame. Subsequently, you should plan to meet with your advisor at least once a semester.Pre-professional students should meet with advisors early and often due to specific course requirements, entrance exams, and tighter time schedules.
- Gain research experience in a professor’s lab (BIOS 370)
- Develop appropriate oral and written communication skills
- Get an internship
- Become involved in student organizations
- Immerse yourself in your chosen field.
- Read constantly in a variety of subjects (academic, nonfiction, novels, etc)
NIU Offices to Utilize:
- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences runs the
Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (URAP).
Students are paired with faculty members to conduct research
- The NIU Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and
Research Programs (USOAR) awards grants of up to $2500 to
support student initiated research projects.
- Study Abroad programs are available world wide. A premiere opportunity is the NIU at
Oxford Program conducted every summer in England.
Office: MO 356; Lab: MO. 419
Dept. of Biological Sciences Nothern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
Hometown: Ottoville, OH
Degrees earned: B.S. Bowling Green State University;
M.S. Murray Sate University; Ph.D. Washington State University;
Postdoc: Case Western Reserve University
Arrived at NIU: 1990
Classes taught: Fundamentals of Biology; Human Physiology;