Contact: Sharon Banks-Wilkins, Board of Trustees
June 19, 2007
Board of Trustees to meet June 21
Regular Business Meeting
BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
June 21, 2007
Board of Trustees Room
315 Altgeld Hall - Northern Illinois University
Public Meeting of the Board of Trustees Convened - Board of Trustees Room
(Following preliminary matters, including roll call, verification of posting proper Open Meetings Act notice and meeting agenda approval, it is expected the Board will approve a motion to close the public meeting to consider matters permitted by §2 of the Illinois Open Meetings Act in Executive Session in Room 225 Altgeld Hall.)
Approx. 9:45 a.m.
Executive Session – 225 Altgeld Hall
Approx. 11:30 a.m.
Public Meeting of the Board Reconvened – Board of Trustees Room
EXPECTED AGENDA FOR REGULAR MEETING
- CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
- VERIFICATION OF APPROPRIATE NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
- MEETING AGENDA APPROVAL, INCLUDING ANY PROPOSED CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
- CHAIR’S COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
a. ELECTION OF FISCAL YEAR 2008 BOARD OFFICERS
- EXECUTIVE SESSION
- REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF MARCH 22, 2007 REGULAR MEETING
- PUBLIC COMMENTS (IF ANY)*
- REPORTS OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND BOARD LIAISONS
A. Executive Committee
B. Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee
C. Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee
D. Legislation, Audit and External Affairs Committee
E. Illinois Board of Higher Education
F. University Civil Service Merit Board
G. Northern Illinois University Foundation
- PRESIDENT’S REPORT NO. 55
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Fiscal Year 2009 Budget Guidelines; Fiscal Year 2008 Internal Operating Budget Interim Approval; Fiscal Year 2008 Tuition Recommendations; Fiscal Year 2008 NIU Foundation Professional Services Contract; Fiscal Year 2008 Materials Management Commodities Purchase; Fiscal Year 2008 Northern Star Contract; Fiscal Year 2008 Radiation Oncology Physician Services Contract Renewal; Fiscal Year 2008 Gasoline 10 Percent Ethanol Blend; Charter Air Travel for Football; Zeke Giorgi Legal Clinic Lease Renewal; East Campus Chilled Water Production and Distribution Plant; Consulting Services for Living and Learning Project Initiatives; Public Safety Relocation; Demolition of GKC Theatre Building; Design and Estimating for NCAA Track; Off-Campus Delivery Fee for Instructional Technology Programs; Fiscal Year 2008 Off-Campus Delivery Fees For MBA, MST and MAS; Collective Bargaining Agreement; Recommendations for Faculty Promotions, Tenure, and Promotions with Tenure for the 2007-2008 Academic Year; Appointment of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; Appointment of the Dean of the College of Education; Transfer of Tenure and Tenure-Track Locations; Request for New Emphasis; and Request for New Specialization . Possibly other matters for discussion only.) For information: Update to Undergraduate Tuition Policy; Quarterly Summary Report of Transactions in Excess of $100,000; Periodic Report on Investments; Semi-Annual Progress Report of Active Capital Projects with a Budget Over $100,000; Progress Report to the Higher Learning Commission; 2006-2007 Program Review Summary; 95th General Assembly Report; FY08 Illinois Higher Education Budget; Congressional Report; Fiscal Year 2006 Compliance Audit Report; and Grant and Contract Awards . Possibly other matters for consideration only.)
- CHAIR’S ITEMS
(Expected to include presentation of proposals for approval: Executive Session Minutes Release. For information: Board of Trustees Bylaws Amendment-First Reading and Underprepared Students Report. Possibly other matters.)
- NEXT MEETING DATE
* The Board and its committees comply with P.A. 91-0715 through its Bylaws, Article II, Section 5.B:
- Consistent with Public Act 91-0715 and reasonable constraints determined by these Bylaws and the Chair, at each regular or special meeting of the Board or its committees that is open to the public, members of the public may request a brief time on the approved agenda of the meeting to address the Board on relevant matters within its jurisdiction.
- Committees of the Board review University proposals for action and make adjustments and endorsements as appropriate for further consideration by the full Board. Public comments are generally most useful at meetings of Board committees, where proposals are first considered and the time for interaction most feasible.
- To facilitate an orderly process, appearance requests must be registered on a Board-provided form and submitted to the Board’s Parliamentarian at least 45 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to be called to order. To be recognized, the appearance request will include the name, address and position of the individual wishing to speak, the name of the organization or group represented, a concise summary of the presentation, and whether the requestor has appeared earlier on the topic before any other meeting of the Board. The Parliamentarian may confer with registered speakers to cooperatively assist the Chair of the meeting in assuring coordinated issue presentation and an efficient use of allocated time. The Parliamentarian will acquaint requestors with the generally acceptable rules of decorum for their presentations. In lieu of oral presentations, individuals may present brief written materials not to exceed five (5) pages to the Parliamentarian for distribution and consideration by the Board in advance of the meeting.
- The Chair of the meeting will recognize duly registered individuals at the appropriate point during the meeting. Unduly repetitive comments may be discouraged and restricted by the Chair. To assure an orderly and timely meeting the Chair may limit time allotments to five minutes or less, may delay or defer appearances when appropriate, and defer or refer questions received from presenters for answers if available.